Thursday, April 29, 2010

Voluntourism


As you can see I have been reading The Metro a lot lately. This is my third relevant article for my blog. This article especially embodies the theme of this site. This article speaks about a new term called "Voluntourism" which defines someone going on vacation and no longer just for self comfort but also for doing good deeds while on your travel or vacation. This is what I did with my husband and my children while vacationing in Ethiopia. We set the date, paid for the tickets and asked friends and coworkers for donations to two organizations, which we researched and contacted before coming. We had a blast visiting the hot springs, the lavender lake, the mountains, and more, yet raised donations to give to Mothers and children as well as promoting literacy. You can see the posts in January and February with copies of receipts and pictures.

This article describes our efforts as a new trend which I hope catches on and grows quickly. There are so many people in need. This would be a great humanitarian effort for anyone, anywhere. They also mention the benefits for Voluntourism as a resume boost which is true. I had not considered this but It is true that companies are always looking for what sets resumes apart. This may be a benefit as well. (If you would like to read the article, just click on the article). So the next time you want to take a trip be a source of light and life to someone else. The one benefit I enjoyed was the expressed gratitude on the other end and the increased endorphines as a drug to anticipate my next adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment