Monday, January 25, 2010

Our trip to Ethiopia was fantastic. We all had a great time. We got to see a lot of things around Addis Ababa and got to visit a few resorts. I really wanted to go up north to visit Lalibela but there wasn't enough time. We know what to do on our next visit, we have to hit the ground running. It took us almost a week to start getting around. There were a few family and friends that I would've loved to spend some time with but didn't get to. I'm hoping to get some information and maybe some pictures from the two organization we donated the money to. I would like to send that out to the people who donated.
I am totally stunned by what happened in Haiti. I have friends and co-workers who are affected by the earthquake. One of my co-workers who has lost a number of family and friends has set-up a disaster mgmt website for missing persons (http://www.zandolit.com/) to try and help. It is going to change Haiti forever. Some people say the reason Haiti is affected so much by the earthquake is because it's a poor country. Yes there definite truth in that but I don't know how any small island can cope with such utter devastation with or without good infrastructure. Such a disaster will render inoperative the best infrastructures on the planet. If NYC got hit with a major Tsunami, which the city isn't prepared for or has never experienced, there will be a major loss of life and will take the city years to recover. My prayers and hope are with the people of Haiti.

Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment