Thursday, March 25, 2010

The Undercover Comedian

Sometimes we have great plans for ourselves and it is of utmost importance that we fulfill our dreams or follow through with things we have always wanted to do or see or buy. How often do we get a chance to seize the opportunity to go outside of ourselves and help someone else. Especially when they are not related to us.

I have a funny story to tell you. My husband and I have a friend who is a teacher and we car pool with him every morning for about two years now. He is the funniest person who always has a joke or hilarious real life story about his exploits of his life as a teacher, single dad, an old rock band, getting free stuff, getting back into shape, scenarios of the latest headlines, etc. So I have been saying for a year that I was going to book him on a comedy show. He never took me serous and I never took it seroius either.

Then one day after hearing his story about his new plans to get in shape and almost drowning in the pool I said I will really do it. So I looked up the Comedy club that my husband and I had gone to some time ago. I sent out an email thinking nothing would happen. Three days later the director replies to my email stating he has booked this new person that I have discovered for April 2nd. I almost fell out of my seat. I told our friend and he could not believe it. I was not sure if he was mad, happy or surprised.

He said he would do it and wanted to do his research first by checking out one of the acts and speaking to the the director himself. When he finally emailed him back the director told him, "I have not booked you for the regular open night, I booked you for the professional showcase where Chris Rock and other famous comedians perform. Your name is listed on the line up." He said he wanted to email him back and say, "Are you out of your &%@*? mind? I am a teacher with a good sense of humor not a professional real life comedian man." But with all that he is going to do it.

So if you have the motivation, talent, supportive woospa, belief in someone, help them take their ideas to another level. Partner with them, initiate a great idea for them as you know their strengths. Take a chance and have fun with it. Or get together with someone who you know has the tools to help you to get to where you want to be. This blog is a reminder to me that anything is possible and to make achievements one step at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment