Friday, October 29, 2010

"Go, I Wish You Well....."

If one of you says to him, "Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed," but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it? In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.

-James (NIV)

I find this so challenging. It is easy to ask someone "how are you" and to accept their answer when you know there is more you can do. Or have good wishes and hope things go well for someone yet not offer your help. Or you sincerely hope the best in a situation and think someone else will help them when you could give them a call to try and help meet their needs. Or you do offer to help and they say no. Do you simply stop there? Hope and belief in their safety and welfare, goes to not or becomes useless although we mean well. Action goes along way. Even a simple gesture, phone call, text message, cooking, email, small gift or card, small monetary donation, hugs, touch on the hand, active listening, encouraging words, poem, etc. We all know the phrase, "Action speaks..................

3 comments:

  1. I think this is something I struggle with a lot here in Africa because there is so much need surrounding us and asking how someone is is the 'right' thing to do but I truly can't take on every needy person in the world. This is where wisdom has to come in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy, I agree! In Honduras, too. A few days ago I was leaving my comfy apt in town to head out to work in our "slum" area near the city. I gave a friendly salutation to a passer-by which is dangerous in our city lately. Lots of robbing. I was alone in the street save this man. And he told me a familiar story of being homeless in the city without work. I felt the conviction of God as I said God bless you, but I am not hiring. I should have stopped and looked for a piece of fruit or bread. On the other hand, as Amy says, we have to use wisdom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you ladies both have the bigger picture in mind. Your travels to help the poor is based on your action from great faith! Your level of faith is extraordinary. At your level, giving is on a higher level as your faith is on a higher level. Sounds like, not so much to JUST to give, but now being creative in how you give. And you are so right about wisdom; thanks for mentioning it as I did not consider that.

    ReplyDelete