Friday, July 2, 2010

My Alumna Address

It was awesome. I had such a good time. Looking out at all those young faces. Future graduates that would go out and make a difference. The Keynote speaker was great! He was a Champion Fencer and member of the United States Fencing Association Hall of Fame. He did an excellent job. I presented the Alumna Address. I was so nervous but by the middle, I was confident.

It was held at Maritime College in a beautiful outdoor arena. Parents were taking pictures continually. Students were fanning themselves, the teachers and advisers were cheering the students on. The Principal did a great "Go out there and get them" speech. Some had fancy shoes too high for me to walk in and others wore high top bright colored sneakers. Guys wore their cool shades while the Principal asked one young man to take the tooth pick out of his mouth. All I thought about was my graduation from this school and what it was like to be young and adventurous.

They announced all my previous work and accomplishments just before I went up with "graduate of class of 1986". The crowd repeated with giggles. They looked around for this old lady. Where could this old prune be. I must admit I looked fabulous with a lime green top with sparkles around the V-neck, a cute knee high black ribbons of chiffon skirt and shiny black leather high heels. My hair was a cascade of curls with my sun glasses to hold back my hair. I stepped up to the podium and announced "yes it is I, graduate of 1986". Everyone who knows me says I look young so they were shocked when I started speaking.

It was one of the greatest day for me as I have dreamed about giving back to my former high school. I have always wanted to inspire them for greater things. I really enjoys motivating our youth as they are our future professionals. I encourage you to go out there and make a difference for our young people. They need to know that those before them believe that they can do even greater things than us. You can see my speech below or here. My husband helped me to modify it a bit. I spoke to them about Opportunities and Obstacles, Failure and Success.

No comments:

Post a Comment