Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Descriptive Me

The most I could ask from writing this blog is that it will keep you motivated to do more than you thought you could. If as simple as, making you happy about who you are, then it moves me to know that I have done some good for someone else. In my last post I had written a poem (Who am I?) about what I desired my character to become. I am so much more assertive; as there was a time I never spoke up for myself. There was a particular instance I remember, where I worked on a team that gossiped ferociously about me. They nit-picked everything I did. After a few years, the manager gave me my own office but I still had to open their office early in the morning. Mind you I lived the farthest. One day (around the time I was writing the book) I opened the office as usual and later heard all the ways I could have done this better and that better. I usually said something like, "o.k, I'll try my best to do better next time". But this time I said in a cool, confident tone, "If you do not like the way I opened the office feel free to do it yourself. I will be in my office".

It never dawned on me to say that before. Now don't go getting yourself fired. My point is that self searching does a lot of good. After such a victory I thought what else do I need to change about myself. I was on a self questual high, I just made that term up, and this time wanted to work on my self esteem. So I wrote about my outside appearance. We are our biggest critics.
There are so many things I focus on that I do not like about myself. So I decided to only focus on my features in a positive light and out came Descriptive Me which I was going to title My, My, My. (You'll see why). After reciting it so many times I have an attitude when reading it aloud, especially after it won an award. For me it really helped in how I see myself today. It's of utmost important that you are comfortable within your own skin. Appreciating yourself helps you to go beyond what you are capable of; the theme of this site.

My skin is black and oh so sexy,
My mind is sharp, way beyond my years,
My hair is gently tossed across
and my legs always bring stares.

My eyes are mysterious to peer in,
My nose is index touchable,
My feet are too ambitious
and my hips are sashay swayable.

My ears are small, but always bejeweled,
My arm's embraces never die,
My hands were created to create
and my voice is honey high.

Descriptive Me, By Petrina Yemane, Art in its Written Form

No comments:

Post a Comment