Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Going home...

I'm really excited about our trip back home. It has been two years since my last visit. This time it will be different because the whole family is coming with me. I'm most excited about the kids seeing the place "where Daddy was born". I want them to see where I lived, played, went to school, etc. I want them to meet the monkeys that chased me and my brothers and sister at Sondere. I want them to experience as much as possible. I'm also very excited about the prospect of visiting Axum and Lalibela. It has been a dream for a long time. It's one thing to read about it but it's a whole other thing to see it with your own eyes. It's like living in NYC and never having been at the top of the Empire State Building. I'm glad that my kids will have the opportunity to do so. I know my parents would have taken us there, as they have taken us to many other places, if it wasn't for the fateful year of '74.

-Mike

2 comments:

  1. Have a safe trip back. It is interesting reading what you are up to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, going to Africa! I would love to go there one day and take my children too. I'm actually going back to my country for the holidays and taking the whole family also. It is absolutely fullfilling to have our children know of their roots. I'm a big fan of that. Maybe your children are too young right now but since my kids are older, they really get to see where and how their parents grew up and for mine where they were born. They also get to see cousins, 2nd cousins and other family members etc. that they have never seen nor have seen them before. My prayer is that they would see the difference in their lives now and become much more grateful for what they have. Sometimes I wonder which planet they grew up on. How ungrateful our teenagers can be! Oooh! Then I have to remember, they are teenagers!
    I think I know what you mean Mike, it's like working across the street from the South Ferry terminal and you've never been to Staten Island (Me lol). There are a bunch of places in my country that I've never been to even though compared to the United States, my country is a dot on the map. I look forward to visiting those places with my children as well.
    Well I hope you guys have a blast and a safe trip and I look forward to seeing a lot of pictures upon your return.

    Love ya'll
    Hazel

    ReplyDelete