Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving means a lot of things to many people. A time of giving and receiving, a time of sharing and reflecting. In the "Spirit of Sharing", tomorrow we will be visiting family and enjoying our time of old stories, being surprised by family members you haven't seen in quite some time and poking fun at my stepfather who every year has not mastered cooking for under 15 people. As a chef for large organizations and the military he cooks for at least 40 people. So we have days of a seven course meal and large portions to share with others. (Honestly, he's come a long way from a convention luncheon at a posh hotel. O.k I am over exaggerating but you get the point).

I sort of miss Thanksgiving with my in-laws as they have moved out of New York, except one who we see throughout the year. And really, it is like Thanksgiving every time we go to visit. Plus we will be seeing them for Christmas in Addis, so I am very happy.

Lastly, In the "Spirit of Refection" I wanted to mention how grateful I am for Hope worldwide
who gave us the opportunity to know the value and joys of helping others. I have included pictures that I have been meaning to post as well as encouraged through comments about aid work done in peace keeping Somaliland and HIV/Aids Awareness in Kenya. I will be posting two at a time. Please check out my favorites at the bottom of the blog page.

"The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others."-Mahatma Gandhi

No comments:

Post a Comment